Verdigris

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:37:54 -0400

Dorothy, Thanks for the chemistry lesson.

Fellows, I'm still opposed to putting any liquid into flange bushings
that's not going to completely evaporate.  As I said before, I have not
found any of the verdigris "quick-fix" remedies to work for very long if
the problem is really caused by advanced verdigris.  And when I do use
ethanol and distilled water as a shrinking solution for tight bushings NOT
caused by verdigris, I just put a small drop on each bushing.  I don't soak
the entire flange in it.

Dorothy, if you are reading this, do you think on those old S&S parts that
were treated with paraffin and whale oil, that the organic whale oil might
be more responsible for turning to acid and attacking the metal pins than
the paraffin?  What do you think?

Jim Ellis