Verdigris

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:26:17 -0700

Jim, Dorothy, et al,

At 12:37 PM 8/13/2004, you wrote:
>Dorothy, Thanks for the chemistry lesson.
>
>Fellows, I'm still opposed to putting any liquid into flange bushings
>that's not going to completely evaporate.  As I said before, I have not
>found any of the verdigris "quick-fix" remedies to work for very long if
>the problem is really caused by advanced verdigris.  And when I do use
>ethanol and distilled water as a shrinking solution for tight bushings NOT
>caused by verdigris, I just put a small drop on each bushing.  I don't soak
>the entire flange in it.

A lesson well worth remembering.  I am sure that we have all seen flanges
pretty much ruined by being (in effect) soaked with a sizing solution...

Also:

>Dorothy, if you are reading this, do you think on those old S&S parts that
>were treated with paraffin and whale oil, that the organic whale oil might
>be more responsible for turning to acid and attacking the metal pins than
>the paraffin?  What do you think?

Hmmm...As noted elsewhere, I am no chemist either...and, my observations
(other than from the field) are based on the lore that was still rampant,
errr, existent at the factory in the early 70's....so...in addition to
Jim's question in re: the whale oil, there is another component which has
not been addressed which is the lanolin in the felt of the bushing.  It
seems to me that there was a pretty overall unstable set of chemical
conditions present in the flanges to begin with...then, with the "right"
amounts of time, humidity, use, etc. things get nasty.  One thing I have
found numerous times, is that, while the majority of the instruments of a
certain vintage wind up with vertigris-related issues, a surprising number
do not - remain, except for what might be thought of as normal wear and
tear, pretty much as they probably left the factory...so, since they (in my
experience) have seemed virtually identical to those which wind up with
vertigris, what was/is the difference?

101-proof Wild Turkey - ah, yes! - Pure nectar!...for medicinal purposes
only, of course!  For piano work, 101 is better than the 151-proof, which,
I think, lends credence to Dorothy's comments.

A couple of other thoughts on Freddy, while we're at it:  With due respect
to a few others, he was probably the last person at S&S could
(metaphorically) have started at one end of the factory with raw wood and
personally produced a finished, playable, musically useable
product.  Anyone who had the chance to attend his classes came away with
more than they bargained for...or, they simply were not paying
attention.  Whether he was making his needles "sing" (which one could still
do with factory hammers in those days), or taking great delight in the
shocked faces as he beat sostenuto mechanisms into submission with an 8 oz.
ball peen hammer, there was an artistry in his use of tools and his hands
that was truly spectacular to watch.

If your memory is long enough, you may also remember that, in the days when
the factory was busily telling everyone that, if there was a problem with
their fancy new Teflon action, it was obviously something that they (the
local technician) had screwed up, Freddy was the guy who was going around
teaching people how to make their own crude-but-effective parallel reamers
out of center pins rolled between files...Nope, it wouldn't fly at all in
our latter-day, post-modern world of techno-nonsense piano work...but, it
kept a large number of instruments functioning that would otherwise have
died on delivery while the marketing folks figured out that they had made a
mistake and tried to catch up.

Ah, well...I suspect it might be time to raise a glass in his general
direction...

Best to all.

Horace