What's in that stuff? (was vertigris)

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:24:50 -0400

I'm not a distiller and I'm no chemist, but I've learned a tiny bit
from tv and other sources about making liquor.  I understand the color
in the bourbon comes from the wooden barrels.  Different barrel woods
(oak, hickory, or whatever they use) produce slightly different
coloring and slightly different flavor.

Clear corn liquor on the other hand, (like Ever Clear, Golden Grain,
Moonshine, etc.)  is not aged in wooden barrels but in stainless steel
drums, thus the reason it is clear.  Can be the same exact stuff before
aging, (except as I understand it, modern moonshiners use more sugar
than in the old days because sugar is cheaper than corn) but the aging
process is what separates the types of bourbons from other grain
liquors.

So, the coloring in the bourbon is substances pulled from the wood, and
I'm guessing some form of glucose or sucrose in the sap is a part of
that, which would account for the sticky substance you wipe off the bar.

Jeff