verdigris

Tim Coates tcoates1@sio.midco.net
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 10:31:55 -0500

Horace,

Thank you for the words about Fred Drasche.  The older I get the more I
appreciate him.  He was Class (with a capital "C").  His wife Mimi
always traveled with with.  I first met him as I said previously in
Chicago at Hendricks Music.  Otto Keyes was lucky enough to spend a
week with him and then technicians were invited to one of his seminars
at the store.   Otto invited Michael Wathen, myself, and I think Conrad
Hoffsommer to the seminar.  Conrad, do you remember that?  We all drove
from SD to Chicago in my old VW camper.  We were all quite a bit
younger then (and I mean quite a bit).  He seemed to like the younger
technicians along with paying attention to the seasoned techs.
Information flowed out of him without talking down to others.

Tim Coates
University of South Dakota

Horace Greeley wrote:

A couple of other thoughts on Freddy, while we're at it:  With due
respect to a few others, he was probably the last person at S&S could
(metaphorically) have started at one end of the factory with raw wood
and personally produced a finished, playable, musically useable
product.  Anyone who had the chance to attend his classes came away
with more than they bargained for...or, they simply were not paying
attention.  Whether he was making his needles "sing" (which one could
still do with factory hammers in those days), or taking great delight
in the shocked faces as he beat sostenuto mechanisms into submission
with an 8 oz. ball peen hammer, there was an artistry in his use of
tools and his hands that was truly spectacular to watch.

If your memory is long enough, you may also remember that, in the days
when the factory was busily telling everyone that, if there was a
problem with their fancy new Teflon action, it was obviously something
that they (the local technician) had screwed up, Freddy was the guy who
was going around teaching people how to make their own
crude-but-effective parallel reamers out of center pins rolled between
files...Nope, it wouldn't fly at all in our latter-day, post-modern
world of techno-nonsense piano work...but, it kept a large number of
instruments functioning that would otherwise have died on delivery
while the marketing folks figured out that they had made a mistake and
tried to catch up.

Ah, well...I suspect it might be time to raise a glass in his general
direction...

Best to all.

Horace