verdigris

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:29:09 -0700

Hi, Tim,

At 08:31 AM 8/14/2004, you wrote:
>Horace,
>
>Thank you for the words about Fred Drasche.  The older I get the more I
>appreciate him.  He was Class (with a capital "C").

Yes, on all counts...truly first-rate.

>  His wife Mimi always traveled with with.

Mimi was a real sweetie...I could imagine her knitting (I have not idea if
she did, but I can imagine it) away while Freddy taught.  Last I knew they
were living in Florida...what a long time ago that seems like now.

>   I first met him as I said previously in Chicago at Hendricks Music.

Ed Hendricks had been a VP at S&S (don't remember of what).  He left to
open up retail store(s) in Chicago...and pretty promptly ran into the same
dealer-manufacturer problems that most competent folks have.  Things got
very nasty and ended in a horrid law suit...no one wins.  S&S retail in the
Chicago area has not been the same since.

>Otto Keyes was lucky enough to spend a week with him and then technicians
>were invited to one of his seminars at the store.   Otto invited Michael
>Wathen, myself, and I think Conrad Hoffsommer to the seminar.  Conrad, do
>you remember that?  We all drove from SD to Chicago in my old VW
>camper.  We were all quite a bit younger then (and I mean quite a bit).

Ouch...indeed....

>   He seemed to like the younger technicians along with paying attention
> to the seasoned techs.   Information flowed out of him without talking
> down to others.

That was part of his charm...I think that he saw what he was doing as a
"calling", missionary work, if you will.  He fully understood that, with
the demise of the older factory/apprentice-type training that so many
earlier technicians (of a couple generations back) received before going
out into private work, there really was no good place for people to learn
what they needed to in order to do good work.  Plus, he was a gifted
teacher, truly interested in what each person had to say/ask...importantly
he, himself, continuing to learn from the interactions...not small
shoes.  Mimi was always reminding him that it was time to take a break, or
eat lunch, or to simply quit for the day...

More later.

Best.

Horace