Bridge Drilling Jig

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:23:39 -0400

Dear Fellow technicians,

As you know my participation in the Piano Technicians Journal was cut
short this past spring. I was in the process of developing several
articles for publication and got as far as taking photos and starting
some of the illustrations. Just so it wouldn't go to waist I have been
gathering some of the stuff on my web site for anyone who may be
interested. One of the articles I was working on was based on my bridge
bearing, drilling and knotching class.  One of the more useful tools I
developed is a simple bridge drilling jig. You can find the photos and
drawings by following the links below.

sincerely,
John Hartman X-PTG

O.T. Postscript:

As it turns out leaving the Journal was the best thing that could have
happened to me. I feel a lot better now that I don't' have to deal with
the harassment and discouragement of PTG's executive director and Board.
And even better I have since picked up a few illustration jobs that pay
better and are more rewarding as well. In fact when I returned from
Quebec City I started working for a woodworking magazine, this one job
more that made up for any lose of income from being dismissed from the
Journal.

If you go to any large book store you will see my work displayed on the
cover of the August issue of Workbench Magazine. I worked on the dust
collection cyclone drawings and am listed as a contributing illustrator.
They said it was the first time they have featured an illustration on
their cover. I have since worked on several issues for them and am
starting to make a decent income from my freelance illustration work.

for view of the cover.

Or go to my web site for more illustrtions:

I am right now working on a drawing for the November-December issue of
Fine Woodworking Magazine.

I can tell you this much, what these magazines pay for just one full
page illustration is as much as Chris and I received for all the design
work, layout, photographs and drawings in one issue of the Journal.

See you at a local book store,
JH