[CAUT] harpsichord truck revisited (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:22:59 -0000

List,

Several months ago I posted some pictures of a harpsichord truck I had
built. (Later published in the Journal) Attached are some pictures of
what I have done since. This Hubbard is a large and heavy instrument.
Although the truck solved the problem of carrying the harpsichord to
and from its room, there were still problems with lifting the
instrument on and off the truck. It takes three people to comfortably
lift the instrument. Sometimes three stagehands are not available. I
had fears of someone not too good at lifting drop the front end while
placing on or off the truck. It would be an ugly scene.

Along came the idea of creating a shorter front and back leg assembly.
I contacted a local amateur harpsichord builder and he agreed to make
the leg assemblies. The harpsichord can now remain on the truck just
like the concert grands. Like the grand trucks, this is not the most
aesthetically pleasing solution but functional for the situation here
at IC. There is a locking caster installed on the front and back to
hold the instrument in place. If a particular situation arises where it
would be best to have the original leg assemblies attached it would
take no more than ten minutes to replace. Most of the time the
harpsichords here at IC are used for one or two pieces in a faculty or
student recital. The aesthetics will not be an issue.

Don

Photos at:

http://tinyurl.com/4dzmv

http://tinyurl.com/3z2cl