[CAUT] Web Page Member search

Ron Berry ron@berrypiano.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:22:32 -0500

Jim and List,
I appreciate the input about using the online directory and hope we can find
a way to make it more useful. I have several comments about the things
you asked.
The General Search page was designed to be the most flexible at getting at
information. It allows for a few letters because people often don™t know how
to spell the name they are looking for. The fields are connected by and
statements which means that all criteria have to be met to show the record.
If you want only people whose name starts with "L" and whose city starts
with "V" you could do that. The street address finds the criteria anywhere in
that field so you could find someone on "Main Street" without knowing their
address.
You say you wish that the online directory would be a dymanic list from the
home office directory. It is exactly that. The home office does not have a
web server in KC so we copy the database every Monday to the web server.
Any changes to the listings have to be given to Sandy at the home office and
changed there then they show up the next Monday. Having the list member
editable would be difficult. Not because the code would be hard to write but
that would require the online list to be the "official" list so the home office
would need to update all their records online. However the online list doesn't
have dues paying information and other stuff like that. Also this method
assures that only current members are shown. We don™t have to count on
members removing themselves if they drop their membership. This system
is a big improvement from the old static files for each state that I had to edit
manually. The home office records and the online version were virtually
never in sync.
The search in the state map for Colorado does indeed find Chris Finger.
That list is sorted by zip code with the idea that someone might be looking
for a technician close to them. I think I need to make it more clear that the
list is sorted that way. The General list gives you the choice of sorting by
name or zip. I find that using the first 3 digits of the zip code is a good way
to search a larger area. I don't see how we could make the search engine
find Niwot when you search for Boulder. Just defining what areas should be
included would be difficult. Your 300 mile radius put you half way to my
house but I don™t like to travel more than 30 miles because I live in the city. I
don't know how the Yellow Pages finds things within a radius of so many
miles. I certainly uses software that we don't have at present. My guess is
that is calculates by GPS coordinates or something.
You say you would like to see the general page work as expected but I don't
really understand what you want it to do. The forms on that page are two
separate forms one with the name and city and one for chapter lookup. If
you look up Boulder in the chapter name form you will get all the members of
the Boulder chapter. I will just add that chapter numbers are the first 3 digits
of the city that is the seat of the chapter.
You said " Instead, I think most people expect to enter a wild-card pattern,
then immediately be presented a list of ONLY those meeting that criterion."
This is exactly what the general search does. I'm trying to guess how you
feel it doesn™t. I guess if you put Finger and Boulder in the chapter name
field that would give you either Finger or the Boulder chapter depending on
which submit button you click. Perhaps I need to make these two more
visually separate or even on separate pages. The other thing that might
make things more clear would be to rearrange the list that comes from the
US map to put the zip code in the first column so it is clear that it is zip
sorted. I think people would recognize the towns around them if they look
for names with similar zip code. I could put a suggestion to use the first 3
digits of zip code or the phone area code as a way to get a wider search.
I'm glad that you have gotten clients from the web site. We have a very
powerful tool here for a minium of work an little expense. I welcome your
viewpoints and suggestions.

---------
Ronald Berry
webmaster@ptg.org