[CAUT] Web Page Member search

Jim Harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:39:34 -0400

Hello Ron,

<cut>
RB> This is exactly what the general search does. I'm trying to guess how you
RB> feel it doesn™t. I guess if you put Finger and Boulder in the chapter name
RB> field that would give you either Finger or the Boulder chapter depending on
RB> which submit button you click. Perhaps I need to make these two more
RB> visually separate or even on separate pages. The other thing that might
RB> make things more clear would be to rearrange the list that comes from the
RB> US map to put the zip code in the first column so it is clear that it is zip
RB> sorted. I think people would recognize the towns around them if they look
RB> for names with similar zip code. I could put a suggestion to use the first 3
RB> digits of zip code or the phone area code as a way to get a wider search.
RB> I'm glad that you have gotten clients from the web site. We have a very
RB> powerful tool here for a minium of work an little expense. I welcome your
RB> viewpoints and suggestions.

First, my message was not "about" you, Ron, or at least not intended
to be. Otherwise I would have e-mailed you directly. The fact is, in
my recent efforts to learn about web related matters for my personal
use (especially in more discrete, behind-the-scenes things), I have
newfound respect for *any* webmaster. And considering what you've done
since the early days of the PTG site versus its current demands and
complexity, I'm surprised you're not in a rubber room by now! I'd like
to go on record in thanking you for your part in bringing PTG (no
doubt kicking and screaming), into the digital age on the web.

Instead, my comments were about what I expect as a typical user,
assuming I accurately follow the on-screen instructions.

When I went to the general search page, I did not enter *any* names,
addresses, chapters or otherwise. I entered 'Boulder' in the City box,
and 'CO' in the drop-down box, then clicked 'Submit'. Everything else
was left blank and/or defaults. I was taken to the following page each
time:

<http://www.ptg.org/rptsearch/show_chapter_list.php?Chapnum=&Chapname=&Region=&B1=Submit>

Essentially, this was the cause of my frustration and subsequent
venting.

New information: Before making this reply, I just retraced the same
steps, and found that things are working *exactly* as expected. IOW, I
got six hits, specifically in Boulder. YES! This is the way I expected
it to work before, and indeed the engine is a powerful tool... when
it's working correctly.

For troubleshooting purposes, I do understand that the URL above could
possibly be triggered when a typo is made. Other margins of (my user)
error, I did not "Reset" the form each time after going "back" in my
browser, but am pretty sure I did press "Submit" instead of "Enter"
with repeated attempts, to help deter the effects of any cached pages
on my browser. Other than that, I don't know what else to add...
except...

I suppose I can consider the matter closed, with apologies.

--
Regards,
 Jim                            mailto:harvey@greenwood.net