[CAUT] lacquer "flushing"

Allen Wright awright440@cinci.rr.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:35:45 -0400

Colleagues,

I'm not certain this ideahas been discussed on the list, but I seem to
remember that it has, else it might not have occurred to me as a
serious option. I pass it on in case it might be useful for others in a
similar situation.

I voiced a 7 year old Baldwin L for a store. A church was interested in
buying it, but wanted it voiced up - particularly the entire bass
section, which was very noticeably quieter and with a different tone
than the rest.

Some light keytop solution on some notes brought up the treble end
nicely to match the middle, but I felt that the bass needed a bigger
boost, so in the shop I gave it a 4 : 1 hit with lacquer. The majority
of my lacquering experience has been with Steinways (lots of them), and
this 4 : 1 solution probably would've been about perfect for that. But
I'm steadily realizing that Baldwin hammers react more testily to
hardeners. The bass was way louder than I intended when I got it back
in. Mild panic set in, as needling obviously wasn't curing the problem.

I thought about steaming, or perhaps using the Pianotek hammer
softener, but didn't have either in the car. So I decided to try
flushing out some of the lacquer with acetone. On with the fume mask
and out to the back porch with a nice breeze blowing: I forcefully
squirted a good half bottle of acetone down onto each hammer, with the
overflow going through my funnel into another bottle.

When they dried, I could feel that they were obviously softer. When I
put the action back in the piano the next day the tone was right where
I had intended it to be, with the bass perhaps even slightly softer
than the mid-section now.

I imagine the lacquer in the strike point area tends to be flushed down
into the shoulders, with more remaining there than in the top. Which is
probably not a bad scenario.

It had been an act of skeptical semi-desperation, but it worked
perfectly. The phrase "snatching victory from the jaws of defeat" ran
through my head as I drove home in great relief.

Oh, and the bottle of acetone I used is now slightly yellow with the
lacquer that it pulled out. It's probably more like the ratio I should
have used to start with! I'll save it for some future job involving a
light hardener solution.

For what it's worth,

Allen Wright, RPT
NKU, Xavier University