[CAUT] lacquer "flushing"

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:21:09 -0700

Allen,

Not an uncommon problem, unfortunately.  The biggest issue is, if "you" did
not do the hardening "yourself", knowing what was used to do it.  In this
case, it sounds like you had thinned the lacquer with acetone (which works,
of course), and so knew what to use.  Sometimes you just have to guess. For
me, this guessing has usually been based on examination of the hammers to
see what kind of discoloration (if any) there might be...then, try to
experiment a bit to see if one carrier will work better than another.

Another trick, especially useful in the shop, is to pop the stack off the
keyframe and set it (effectively) upside down, so that the tails of the
hammers can rest easily into the aluminum/steel trays (I usually use old
fashioned ice cube trays).  Then the hammers can be pretty well flooded
with whatever carrier seems best.  A nice, big fan is very useful...

Additionally, if you figure out that you are working with a hammer set that
has been bunged up by overzealous use of keytop, you can flood the hammers
(probably several times) with acetone, covering them with aluminum foil in
between.  After (usually) three applications with a few hours in between
each one, you can try blowing out the hardener from the crown down - using
your OSHA-safe air nozzle, of course...

Your note as to the hardener presumably staying in the shoulders (unless
otherwise forced out) is accurate; and needs to be remembered for future
voicing reference - something that is easy to forget over time.  If I have
to go through this much trouble to begin with, I really want to get just as
much of the "original" stuff out before doing anything else.  Then, if
possible, I really like to hear the instrument with whatever is left of the
hammers to get a sense of what the voicing is like.  That helps to
determine what to do, how far to go, etc.

This method, while time consuming in a certain way, can usually save a set
of hammers (if it has not otherwise been too damaged...shaping/etc).  You
have to be very careful to be sure that whatever carrier you have used to
flush out the existing hardener is thoroughly evaporated before doing any
shaping as if wet, the hammers will simply shred.

Anyway, it sounds as if you have recovered in fine style.  Bravo!

Best.

Horace