[CAUT] Re: Jaurez Cosmetic piano restoration

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 02:03:20 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/2004 9:28:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
nicho@zianet.com writes:

Mr. Nichols
  I would be most happy to provide you with serial no.s  as soon as I can get
them.

:

To All my esteemed  colleagues
Probably all of you are aware of a rebuilding  outfit across the border in
Juarez, Mexico.
I've seen two recently "rebuilt"  Stwys that were a disaster with one
exception.

Dale,

Hi. I'm  the owner of the U.S. brokerage known as SAMA. I took over ownership
this  spring, and before that have worked as a consultant for the company.
This  company operates a plant in Juarez, across the border from El  Paso.

First off, I'd like to ask you where the connection  is between these two
pianos and the "outfit".
  >>> Booth clients confirmed these pianos had  been rebuilt in Juarez. It
won't help to get hung up in the semantics.  Call it what you like.

Very  seriously, Sir, as your post makes no actual connection.
.>>. Very seriously as well,  how many piano  reconditioning shops are there
in Juarez. If I'm mistaken about there being just  one then please inform me
and correct my misunderstanding & I'll give the  other firm credit.

Second, I'll point out that SAMA does not sell  pianos.
>> I didn't say they did. Both were bought from dealers  who sent them there
to Juarez.

Thirdly, I'll point out that many of the over 1600  (yes, sixteen HUNDRED)
pianos that have been remanufactured  by our  "outfit" in Juarez have not come
to us with actions in the first place. Some  come for just finish, and many
that should be junked or have blocks or boards  replaced wind up getting their
other belly work elsewhere.
   >>>Guy , I did check into Sama when it  first came along and was told
there was no ability to do anything but patch the  boards with shims. Also I doubt
a piano would be shipped that far for a simple  refinish so I will assume the
boards I saw  were patched  there.

The SAMA plant is  directed by Salvador Ortiz, 29 year veteran of Baldwin.
I've been around a  while, and am capable of making mistakes, but normally
don't. The conditions  you describe sound like problems that wouldn't come close to
being shipped  out, especially in the last couple of years. Our instruments
are shipped to  our dealers and techs and have a warranty that covers all of
the conditions  you describe. The fact that these conditions exist indicate that
perhaps SAMA  did not do the work in question.
   It also indicates that maybe quality control  isn't what it should be & it
sounds frankly like your perhaps passing the  buck. If I end up being wrong
you will be the first to  know with a humble apology.
 In the case of the Stwy A the dealer in question has no  facility to do the
work I saw & has done other business with you I'm  told.

So,  Mr. Erwin, I'd like to request the chance to verify your accusations.
 >> Well acusations is a bit strong & defensive  but they are certainly the
results of thourough first hand examination  &observations based on 32 years of
expereince The facts presented are a  recititation of what very unhappy
clients related to me  personally.

Please  supply me with the serial numbers of the pianos, and I can tell you
whether  they were ever in Juarez.
 > I'm under no obligation to do so but I would  welcome the oppurtunity to
do so.If can retreive them I will do so most  expeditiously. I beleive I can
retreive the O perhaps by next week. The A as  well.
  If they did come from your plant what would the  warranty cover & if the
work was dome poorly what gaurantee is there that it  will get done the second
time?

I  ask that until then, you reserve judgement about a business that has
hundreds  of satisfied customers.
>> So you said. & I will reserve it based on what I  saw. It gives me no
pleasure to see clients get the short end of the stick &  you should hope that the
eveidence doesn't  indict you. Until then I invite  all techs who have seen
your work to weigh in  & testify to what is  really being done in Juarez & by
who
  Perhaps quality is on the rise since your purchase  & that would be most
welcome. I happen to know you by reputation & sense  of humor & hopefully we'll
find one in all this at some point.
  What I do know absolutely for certain sure is   some pretty sorry pianos
with devesteted clients. The finish as I said  was beautiful.
 Sincerely
   Dale Erwin

References available upon request at _www.samapianos.com_
(http://www.samapianos.com/)   Plant tours are welcome.

Sincerely,
Guy Nichols, RPT
President, SAMA

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com