[CAUT] sizing key-frame pin holes?

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.ca
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:25:14 -0500

thanks Ed, Wim and David,

I hadn't thought of "sizing" with CA, and like the idea that the pins are
tight, but not "glued-in."

Steam would probably work, but one may want to "fortify" the wood-fiber with
some diluted glue (or perhaps CA) to help it maintain size.

>From experiments re-sizing birds-eyes; water alone will "swell" wood, but
mixed 4-1 with wood-glue seems to make for a "lasting" fit.

And as I write... it just occurs to me that in 02' I replaced the front-rail
pins on a "D" (1988 - Kluge keyboard) and swabbed the holes then with 4-1
water/glue, and the results seem lasting.

(in lieu of a good memory... you guys are the the best friends one could ask
for! ;>)

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Mark Cramer
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 6:44 PM
To: CAUT
Subject: [CAUT] sizing key-frame pin holes?

we're having to replace a set of nicked .146" front-rail pins and have
replacements on hand, however, the new ones are a loose fit in the original
holes.

i.e.: not wobbly, but they can be pushed in and turned with bare hands.

I was thinking of pre-sizing the holes with hide glue ... any
cautions/suggestions?

thanks,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University