[CAUT] Steinway stretch (was Re: Steinway Verticals)

Dorothy Bell dabell58@earthlink.net
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 18:23:23 -0500

Actually, as a violinist, I would say "playing major thirds and sixths as
they are meant to be, without beats" -- but then the vibrato goes and
messes everything up beatwise, so I don't know. But you're absolutely
right, playing with a pianist means that everything has to be played "out
of tune" for a string player. No more narrowing of the half-step just below
the tonic note of the key (i.e., narrowing B3-C4 when in the key of C
major). Piano tuning by ET is a whole different way of looking at music.

Best wishes,
Dorrie Bell