[CAUT] lacquer

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:23:11 EST

Hi
  U.S. cellulose is my brand/hardener of choice for years. Its a  wonderful
lacquer for our refinishing too. Just thought I'd throw that in.
   Dale Erwin

I'm not  an expert on web searches so it was impossible for me to find
any  distributors of this product in the east. I did find the product and
a  distributor in CA. The product is from US Cellulose and the
distributor is  Liberon Supply. Here is a page from their  site:

http://www.liberonsupply.com/USCBase.html

Unfortunately  one cannot buy anything smaller than a gallon. The price
is reasonable for  the gallon but with the shipping and HASMAT fee it
costs $47.63. Well what  the heck, I bought one!

The gallon arrived yesterday so I have not had  a chance to try some
hammer hardening with it. The solids are 24% by  weight and it is fairly
clear. Mixed with thinner it looks very clear.  Eric Schandall was here
for a visit last week (another story) and he gave  me a bit of the
Steinway mix that is unavailable to us. Attached is a pic  of four
bottles with different hardeners. From the left, the first is  standard
nitrocellulose lacquer from most hardware stores, next is the  Steinway
mix(3:1), US Cellulose mix (5:1) and finally the acetone mix from  the
Pianotek pellets. If the reproduction on your screen is accurate, the  US
Cellulose is the most clear of the four.

The information from  the woodweb site says that water white will yellow
with time. Of course  that is on wood applications. It will be
interesting to see how the  hammers will look in time. How much time is
anyone's guess.

Don  McKechnie
Ithaca College