[CAUT] lacquer

Chris Solliday solliday@ptd.net
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 02:56:15 -0500

Really it's not so much what type of lacquer you use, you can even use =
auto acrylic lacquer, it's where you put it and what you are hearing =
that is the issue. I do not want to go against manufacturer practice on =
this but there are actually two or three, depending on how you count it, =
current manufacturer processes. I absolutely defer to Eric S's teaching =
on the subject, but I think you will find a different practice in C&A, =
and my current use of whatever chemical hardener is some directly on the =
strke point only, and let it fall over night to the core point, then =
voice with needles. This, in my limited experience, is the most =
effecient approach. I don't want to get into a long debate but no one =
else has put this forward in this thread and at least a few of us are =
doing this for several years now with a good measure of success. Have =
fun, Chris Solliday
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 9:23 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] lacquer

    Hi
    U.S. cellulose is my brand/hardener of choice for years. Its a =
wonderful lacquer for our refinishing too. Just thought I'd throw that =
in.
     Dale Erwin
    I'm not an expert on web searches so it was impossible for me to =
find=20
    any distributors of this product in the east. I did find the product =
and=20
    a distributor in CA. The product is from US Cellulose and the=20
    distributor is Liberon Supply. Here is a page from their site:

    http://www.liberonsupply.com/USCBase.html

    Unfortunately one cannot buy anything smaller than a gallon. The =
price=20
    is reasonable for the gallon but with the shipping and HASMAT fee it =

    costs $47.63. Well what the heck, I bought one!

    The gallon arrived yesterday so I have not had a chance to try some=20
    hammer hardening with it. The solids are 24% by weight and it is =
fairly=20
    clear. Mixed with thinner it looks very clear. Eric Schandall was =
here=20
    for a visit last week (another story) and he gave me a bit of the=20
    Steinway mix that is unavailable to us. Attached is a pic of four=20
    bottles with different hardeners. From the left, the first is =
standard=20
    nitrocellulose lacquer from most hardware stores, next is the =
Steinway=20
    mix(3:1), US Cellulose mix (5:1) and finally the acetone mix from =
the=20
    Pianotek pellets. If the reproduction on your screen is accurate, =
the US=20
    Cellulose is the most clear of the four.

    The information from the woodweb site says that water white will =
yellow=20
    with time. Of course that is on wood applications. It will be=20
    interesting to see how the hammers will look in time. How much time =
is=20
    anyone's guess.

    Don McKechnie
    Ithaca College