[CAUT] lacquer

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Sun, 05 Dec 2004 19:43:01 -0700

--On Sunday, December 5, 2004 2:56 AM -0500 Chris Solliday
<solliday@ptd.net> wrote:

>  I absolutely defer to Eric S's teaching on the subject, but I think you
> will find a different practice in C&A, and my current use of whatever
> chemical hardener is some directly on the strke point only, and let it
> fall over night to the core point, then voice with needles.

Hi Chris,
	Actually, I think you will find that C&A and Eric are saying precisely the
same thing. Eric is a part of C&A, works in the Steinway basement alongside
Ron Coners and the others when not assigned to teaching duties. And Ron is
saying exactly the same as Eric - both at the class he gave in Dallas, and
in private conversation, both in Dallas and in NYC. Ron _is_ saying that
his tendency at this point is to apply directly down at the strikepoint,
with the idea of allowing an egg-shaped zone of absorption which by-passes
(omits) the lower shoulders, on the theory that it really doesn't matter if
any material gets there. Ron's a very open, forthright guy, who says what
he has to say without beating around any bushes. Eric is teaching to apply
so that the entire hammer is saturated. So there's a wee difference here,
but not substantial. (We're talking first application. Second (and
subsequent) might or might not penetrate to the core.)
	That's what I'm hearing, not only from Eric and Ron, but from John Patton
and Kent Webb and various others. Different from what I heard 20 odd years
ago, and 15 and I think as recently as 10. But it's a very consistent
approach for the last several years (it's probably been a consistent
approach on their part in C&A for much longer, but they weren't teaching it
in a consistent manner, at least to the general tech public).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico