[CAUT] lacquer

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:10:15 -0800

Just to clarify what I was saying. I soak the hammer from the top down
to the top of the wood moulding.  It usually wicks out to the shoulders
anyway, but the key area is underneath the crown.

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Fred Sturm
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 12:01 PM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: Re: [CAUT] lacquer

On 12/6/04 7:52 AM, "Chris Solliday" <solliday@ptd.net> wrote:

> Good "point" David and I think it is the solids within that we are
trying to
> build up  under the strike point that gives us the bang and other
qualities
> associated with SSNY. There is no need for anything anywhere else in
the
> hammer. Voicing with needles or adding keytop and acetone (if one has
used
> acetone as a thinner with the lacquer to begin with) can get us where
we
> need to be on stage quickly and easily. Happy accu-puncturing, Chris
> Solliday
    So, Chris, are you saying that "you don't need anything elsewhere"
(meaning it doesn't make any difference, so why bother), or that not
having
anything elsewhere actually gives better results than soaking the entire
hammer? If so, what's the difference? Greater range of color?

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico