[CAUT] Baldwin electric

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 20:38:50 EST

Dear Colleagues -

I'd hoped there were no more of these 'beasts' extant!

I'll second Don McKechnie's advice on technique for doing this.

I had 26 of these objects, in two classrooms, in my care when I was at  SUNY
Fredonia.  They were being replaced just as I was leaving ten years  ago.  I
found that they quite defied any customary definition of being 'in  tune'.  And
they sounded just about as bad 'in tune' as not!  I chose  three of the least
troublesome ones, tuned them the best I could and recorded  the tunings on an
SAT.  There were very large discrepancies for the  resulting SAT numbers
among the three.  I somewhat arbitrarily discarded  the wildest numbers, then used
the remaining values to form a composite  model tuning for all the
Electropianos.  Using the SAT I imposed this  tuning on all of them thenceforth.  I
can't say it was any better than  tuning them by ear, but I'm pretty sure it was
no worse!  In any case, it  avoided having to make the maddening tuning
decisions.  A fringe benefit  was that I could then sit behind the cussed things to
tune them; that afforded  easy access to the tuning pins, but poor access to
the keys - which didn't  matter at that point since I was just poking at 'em in
sequence.

Good luck!

Happy Chanukah!

~ Tom  McNeil ~