[CAUT] Baldwin electric

Bill Maxim wmaxim@sc.rr.com
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 21:59:11 -0500

I even tried sitting astride the beast and tuning that way.  That didn't =
work very well either.

Bill Maxim
Maxim Piano Service
(803) 732-9225 - Cell (803) 609-4761
wmaxim@sc.rr.com

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: McNeilTom@aol.com=20
  To: caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 2004 8:38 PM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] Baldwin electric

  Dear Colleagues -

  I'd hoped there were no more of these 'beasts' extant!

  I'll second Don McKechnie's advice on technique for doing this.

  I had 26 of these objects, in two classrooms, in my care when I was at =
SUNY Fredonia.  They were being replaced just as I was leaving ten years =
ago.  I found that they quite defied any customary definition of being =
'in tune'.  And they sounded just about as bad 'in tune' as not!  I =
chose three of the least troublesome ones, tuned them the best I could =
and recorded the tunings on an SAT.  There were very large discrepancies =
for the resulting SAT numbers among the three.  I somewhat arbitrarily =
discarded the wildest numbers, then used the remaining values to form a =
composite model tuning for all the Electropianos.  Using the SAT I =
imposed this tuning on all of them thenceforth.  I can't say it was any =
better than tuning them by ear, but I'm pretty sure it was no worse!  In =
any case, it avoided having to make the maddening tuning decisions.  A =
fringe benefit was that I could then sit behind the cussed things to =
tune them; that afforded easy access to the tuning pins, but poor access =
to the keys - which didn't matter at that point since I was just poking =
at 'em in sequence.

  Good luck!

  Happy Chanukah!=20

  ~ Tom McNeil ~