[CAUT] New Ivory ethical questions

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:24:48 EST

Jeff
     The David Walther Museum has a large  but limited selection of
pre-banned & documented Ivory. I've installed  several sets via Rick Wheeler on new key
sets. It's a pricey option, about 6k.  I've also had Yvonne Ashmore in grass
valley CA install them on old key sets  & the price is considerably less. I
believe it's all one piece as I recall.
  Speaking of ethical questions If you think the price  was high for the Poor
Elephants. I've heard the death toll to the indigenous  tribes who were
kidnapped to haul it out to the coast was about 6 people per LB  or several people
per keyboard or some such. Very gruesome. It was a barbarous  business. There
is a book out that document this & the name of it escapes me  right now but I
was shocked. Makes one  think!
   Dale Erwin

I  recently became aware that new ivory is back on the market -- supposedly
legal -- again.  Does anyone here have any knowledge of the source of  this
ivory, or thoughts on the ethical questions (assuming some of the  ivory
might be harvested from elephants, which I personally wouldn't want  to be a
part of).

This came up in conjunction with a Steinway  rebuild project, where the
customer requested new ivories, and pointed out  that they are now available
legally (in a limited way, apparently,  according to my online searches).

Any  thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff