[CAUT] New Ivory ethical questions

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:39:05 -0800

The last set I saw of Yvonne's was two piece.  Getting that seam between
head and tail invisible was a true art that the old timers definitely
had worked out.  I've not seen quite as much success in recent attempts.
One piece, of course, eliminates that problem.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 8:25 AM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] New Ivory ethical questions

  Jeff
     The David Walther Museum has a large but limited selection of
pre-banned & documented Ivory. I've installed several sets via Rick
Wheeler on new key sets. It's a pricey option, about 6k. I've also had
Yvonne Ashmore in grass valley CA install them on old key sets & the
price is considerably less. I believe it's all one piece as I recall.
  Speaking of ethical questions If you think the price was high for the
Poor Elephants. I've heard the death toll to the indigenous tribes who
were kidnapped to haul it out to the coast was about 6 people per LB or
several people per keyboard or some such. Very gruesome. It was a
barbarous business. There is a book out that document this & the name of
it escapes me right now but I was shocked. Makes one  think!
   Dale Erwin
I recently became aware that new ivory is back on the market --
supposedly
legal -- again.  Does anyone here have any knowledge of the source of
this
ivory, or thoughts on the ethical questions (assuming some of the ivory
might be harvested from elephants, which I personally wouldn't want to
be a
part of).

This came up in conjunction with a Steinway rebuild project, where the
customer requested new ivories, and pointed out that they are now
available
legally (in a limited way, apparently, according to my online searches).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff