[CAUT] New Ivory ethical questions

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 05:18:54 EST

In a message dated 12/11/2004 10:25:34 A.M. Central Standard Time,
Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

Speaking of ethical questions If you think the price was high for the  Poor
Elephants. I've heard the death toll to the indigenous tribes who were
kidnapped to haul it out to the coast was about 6 people per LB or several  people
per keyboard or some such. Very gruesome. It was a barbarous business.  There is
a book out that document this & the name of it escapes me right  now but I
was shocked. Makes one  think!

There was an article in the Journal about this back in the late 80's, and
someone gave a class on ivories at the convention in 1987 in St. Louis.

You're right, it was a gruesome event. One curious thing I  remember. The
action maker Pratt Reed started out as in the  ivory business back in the 1700
and 1800's, making combs, and such. They  got their ivory after the slaves were
dropped off in the south. But what was  ironic is that either Mr. Pratt or Mr.
Reed was an abolitionist.

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Technician