[CAUT] Student fees

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:14:44 -0700

--On Monday, December 13, 2004 4:58 PM -0800 Alan McCoy
<amccoy@mail.ewu.edu> wrote:

> Fred,
>
> What are your target ages?
>
> Regarding rebuilding vs replacement, have you put some pianos in the "to
> be rebuilt" category, and all others in the "not worth rebuilding"
> category?
>
> Alan

	I don't have that paperwork here (I'm not at the U again until Jan, as we
are in exam week, and I'm taking annual leave - to tune more private pianos
and make a living <g>), but my recollection is 40 for uprights and 60 for
grands, meaning average age of 20 for uprights, 30 for grands.
	I haven't done any specific labelling of pianos as to rebuild or not,
other than the first few I'll get to. I know there are five or six I'll
definitely replace. By the time that has happened, I expect ten years will
have passed. I created a hypothetical program, which I will adapt over time
(and I'm lazy when it comes to organizational things like that. And prefer
being loose - for that and scheduling tunings and most everything).
	BTW, I _will_ eventually be replacing at least a few Steinway B's for the
simple reason that we need less large grands and more small ones. But
decisions on grands will be slow. One new 6' could use an entire year's
funds. And with uprights, I have at least a few 30 year old U-1's I'll
probably keep around till they're 50. Then again, I won't be there when
they're 50, so that will be someone else's decision.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico