[CAUT] Student fees

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 08:40:24 -0700

    On the subject of budget for replacing pianos, although I have found the
student fee to be the practical approach in my situation, I would far prefer
a different funding mechanism. I am convinced that piano replacement, and to
a degree rebuilding and maintenance, should be handled under capital expense
rather than operating budget.
    When a building is erected, there is the expectation that it will
require "capital improvements" over its life time, from replacement of floor
tiles (which might be considered major maintenance along with painting and
the like) to HVAC system replacement, to gutting and major remodel. Pianos
are unique equipment in that their longevity gives them almost the
permanence of a capital investment.
    In the budget process, there are generally separate lines for capital
and operating. At state universities, a major source of capital funding is
bond issues, which usually have a major project or two (football stadium
upgrade being, alas, most common), but are padded with money that goes to
minor capital improvements elsewhere. Also, the university takes an
"infrastructure tax" from all research grants. This money is distributed
where it is needed (where the squeakiest wheels are). Our music department
gets a certain amount of such money each year, and allocates it usually for
major maintenance like carpet replacement or painting. Sometimes there is
enough for a bit of major remodeling. And somewhere in the future they tell
me there will be a major HVAC project (hallelujah!).
    To my mind, this is where piano replacement should be funded. A regular
expenditure of, say, $100,000 or so every five years, to replace, say 15% of
the inventory. Just like I'm sure they do over in nuclear engineering to
keep that equipment up to date.
    At any rate, I wanted to get this idea out there, in hopes that with
enough of us lobbying for this type of system, it might take hold and become
a norm some day in the future. It would be a better norm than the student
fee, IMO.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico