[CAUT] Restringing treble

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:59:17 -0600

Over the winter break I have restrung the top two sections of 2 concert gra=
nd's that were getting in the habit of breaking treble strings far to frequ=
ently.  I've done this many times on the practice room pianos.  We've discu=
ssed this before with regards to the uneven tension when two sections are d=
one and tension is left on the rest of the piano. =20

Just out of curiosity when I got the treble strings off, I measured the pit=
ch of C5.  It was 76-cents sharp.  After I installed the new strings and pu=
t enough tension on each unison so it didn't sound funky and enough to keep=
 the coils tight I measured again and C5 was down to just 16-cents sharp.  =
I then chipped twice and measured again and C5 was down to just 4-cents sha=
rp.  By the time I started to actually "tune" it, C5 was just barely off.

Since the sounding board could raise the pitch that much, is this a good in=
dication that it has not suffered terminal compression set?  It would seem =
to me that the board would still have to have some life in it to do that.

Ideas??

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts