[CAUT] Restringing treble

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 18:57:19 -0600

>Just out of curiosity when I got the treble strings off, I measured the
>pitch of C5.  It was 76-cents sharp.  -------

>Since the sounding board could raise the pitch that much, is this a good
>indication that it has not suffered terminal compression set?  It would
>seem to me that the board would still have to have some life in it to do that.
>
>Ideas??
>
>dave

Tain't the soundboard. The board would have to rise more than the total
original crown to pull C-5 that sharp, and that ain't likely. I think it's
the plate. If you've ever started pulling strings up to pitch and
discovered you had forgot to put in the horn wedge, you will have noticed
that the gap had closed up a LOT, and you had to let tension WAY back down
to get the wedge back in. Plates deform quite a bit under tension.

Ron N