[CAUT] Restringing treble

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 06:50:56 EST

Greetings,
  I wrote:

I would think that it is the board rather than the plate.  When a string
breaks in the treble, the adjacent strings of that note seem to always
go sharp,  and when the string is replace, they come right back down.  Would
one
string missing allow the plate to relax?, and if so, only on the immediate
area?

David replies:
<< I don't know.  One string breaking takes over 300 lbs off the plate
whereas it takes only a small percentage as a function of a change in
the deflection angle off the soundboard.
David Love

And Ron writes:
>>Would one string missing allow the soundboard to rise, and if so, only in
the immediate area? Got any idea how length change in a string affects
pitch, and how much soundboard rise it takes at the existing bearing angles
to produce the length change necessary to affect the pitch difference
observed?<<

What I wonder is why such a localized effect of losing a string?  Cast iron
is pretty stiff, and if losing a string allows the plate to relax, wouldn't it
affect more than just the two notes on either side?  I have measured
soundboard drop under tension, and it isn't uncommon to see them drop .050" when the
piano is chipped to pitch.  Some more (such as the Chickerings with the inner
rim), some less (Steinways and Baldwins), but there is still a lot of movement
up and down.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT