[CAUT] Restringing treble

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:48:35 -0600

>I would think that it is the board rather than the plate.  When a string
>breaks in the treble, the adjacent strings of that note seem to always go
>sharp,
>and when the string is replace, they come right back down.  Would one string
>missing allow the plate to relax?, and if so, only on the immediate
>area?  Seems
>more likely that the soundboard would be doing the moving.
>Regards,
>Ed Foote RPT

Would one string missing allow the soundboard to rise, and if so, only in
the immediate area? Got any idea how length change in a string affects
pitch, and how much soundboard rise it takes at the existing bearing angles
to produce the length change necessary to affect the pitch difference observed?

Ron N