[CAUT] Restringing treble

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 19:39:29 -0800

I don't know.  One string breaking takes over 300 lbs off the plate
whereas it takes only a small percentage as a function of a change in
the deflection angle off the soundboard.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
A440A@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 7:15 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Restringing treble

<< Since the sounding board could raise the pitch that much, is this  a
good
indication that it has not suffered terminal compression set?  It  would
seem
me that the board would still have to have some life in it to do  that.

I would think that it is the board rather than the plate.  When a string

breaks in the treble, the adjacent strings of that note seem to always
go sharp,
and when the string is replace, they come right back down.  Would one
string
missing allow the plate to relax?, and if so, only on the immediate
area?  Seems
more likely that the soundboard would be doing the moving.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT