[CAUT] Restringing treble

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:15:14 EST

<< Since the sounding board could raise the pitch that much, is this  a good
indication that it has not suffered terminal compression set?  It  would seem
me that the board would still have to have some life in it to do  that. >>

I would think that it is the board rather than the plate.  When a string
breaks in the treble, the adjacent strings of that note seem to always go sharp,
and when the string is replace, they come right back down.  Would one string
missing allow the plate to relax?, and if so, only on the immediate area?  Seems
more likely that the soundboard would be doing the moving.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT