Action dynamics

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Sat, 03 Jan 2004 15:52:53 -0500

I think Richard Brekne is touching on what I have been trying to point out
from the beginning of this discussion.  Mere static weigh-off does not
address moments of inertia, nor does it tell you what the total action
dynamics will be, and reducing the monent of inertia of the KEY ALONE does
not buy you very much - a little bit, but not very much.  I was not
advising that you do the simple things and quit there.  I was advising that
you not set out to redesign someone else's piano action unless you know
exactly what you are doing.  If you want to experiment with your own, fine,
have at it, and you will learn something.  Good luck.

Most Sincerely, Jim Ellis