What does the moi feel like?

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:51:43 -0500

Dear Physicists of the List-

Please comment on this thought:

When I press the piano key, the resistance to movement I feel consists =
of three elements
1) Friction
2) The pull of gravity on the hammer and wippen, partly counterbalanced =
by the pull of gravity on the keyfront.
3) The combined MOI's of the various moving parts.

Therefore, if I can=20
1) reduce the friction to zero, and=20
2) use a wippen assist spring to produce a balance weight of zero, the =
only resistance left would be=20
3) the combined MOI's of the key, wippen and hammer. =20

What I would feel then, in various key strokes, would be whatever it is =
we are talking about.=20

Could I make or buy a gauge to measure this?=20

Does this line of thought seem useful in understanding the situation?

For example, has anyone felt a key such as I describe?

Ed Sutton