What does the moi feel like?

Don A. Gilmore eromlignod@kc.rr.com
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 20:42:43 -0600

Hi Ed:

All that would be left is the "sluggishness" of the parts, i.e. the =
tendency of the key not to want to move and not to want to stop moving.  =
The force required would be proportional to how quickly you try to =
change the speed of the key.  Incidentally, if you totally balance out =
the weight of the hammer, the key won't come back up to its starting =
position.

Think about an ordinary playground teeter-totter.  With no one in either =
seat, it is easy to move it around and it stays where you put it.  Now =
put a fat kid on either end (both the same weight).  It's still balanced =
and stays where you put it, but it is much more difficult to start and =
stop it.  The fatter the kids, the more moment of inertia the system =
has.  To start one kid upward quickly takes a big heave.  Then if you =
want to stop him it is also difficult; in fact, he may actually lift you =
off the ground if he has enough energy at that point.  The feel would =
not be the same at all for an empty teeter-totter.

Note that since the system is balanced, any disturbing force can tip the =
teeter-totter, no matter how small (neglecting friction).  I can drop a =
small brick in one kids lap and start the lever turning and it will =
accelerate faster and faster until he strikes the ground.  The key =
concept to realize is that the teeter-totter will accelerate at a =
greater rate if I drop the same brick onto it when it's empty than with =
two fat kids sitting in it.  If I put two 500-lb. slabs of concrete in =
each seat, the brick will accelerate them even less, though the system =
is still balanced.=20

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer
Kansas City