Use of terms

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:15:36 -0500

Good morning, Folks:

When I used the term "sluggish", I was talking about pure sluggishness -
gooy gummed up actions, overly tight actions, the tendency to bind, to rub,
to stick, etc.  There is a world of difference between "moment of inertia"
and pure "sluggishness".

A good way to demonstrate the "feel" of moment of inertia in a piano action
is what I told you before.  Go to a piano with an action that is in top
shape.  Do a fast trill in the very high treble.  Then try to do the same
trill is the very low bass.  You won't be able to do it as well, and the
difference you will feel will be the difference in the MOI.

Jim Ellis