Keys and MOI

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 08:15:41 -0700

Ed, Ric,

I'm with Ed. If one can feel a difference between keys then why couldn't
a device measure "it". (The difference, moi, or whatever you care to
call "it") Ric, you said a device isn't necessary, but it seems that it
would be a wonderful thing to have! If we could measure "it" as easily
as we measure dw, uw, etc. then we could even out the moi to the point
where the pianist could not feel any irregularities in touch. Isn't this
the "Holy Grail" we're seeking, if not approaching?

I discussed all this with our head physicist here and he seems to think
a device to measure moi at the key wouldn't be all that hard to make. He
said it might not need to quantify as much as it would need to show this
key has x amount and give some kind of gauge to compare keys and even
out the moi. Ric, you are light years beyond me in your knowledge of
this, but why wouldn't this be a good thing? Or why don't you think it's
possible and/or necessary? Maybe I'll have to wait for Spurlock to put
one out :-)

Thanks,
Jim Busby