Keys and MOI

Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:58:20 +0100

Hi Jim

I agree one hundred percent really. It would be a nice thing to have, as
long as it was quick, easy, and straigntforward. A few of us are working
on a device that Mark Davidson suggested for measuring key inertia. If
that pans out then we really have pretty much all we need, because the
Hammer MOI can likely be approximated nicely enough by just figuring the
hammer itself as a point mass and adding it to an averaged shank figure.

My point is tho that if we know already ahead of time, what approximate
key lead mass at what placement yields a given MOI range, and can do the
same for the hammer... then we really dont need to measure or figure MOI
directly each time. It can be taken as a result of a given mass and
placement.

Maybe Mark will find this a good time to make public his key MOI
measureing device. Open sourced... we can collectively refine it to a
useable and easy to build yourself tool. That way more of us can work on
this puppy

Cheers
RicB