Keys and MOI

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:59:34 -0600

I was in and out of this discussion, but one thing I have not heard mention
of is that our keyboard layout for white and black keys make it impossible
(as is) for them both to have exactly the same MOI.  This would be due to
the fact that the geometry of whippen heel/capstan alignment to balance
hole is different.  On some actions this can make a noticeable difference
and I've even gone so far as to adjust whippen heel length differently for
whites and blacks to accommodate for the different layouts of balance
pins.  I think the result was improved, but it did leave a rather unusual
look for significant extra labor, so I've opted away from that since and
look for a compromise with both.

I don't mean to imply this is the only reason our pursuit of a perfectly
even MOI is an endless challenge, but this is one easily tangible
explanation for an inherently different "feel" between whites and blacks.

cheers-

dennis johnson