Keys and MOI

madelyn mrykalo madvinmryk@yahoo.com
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:01:54 -0800 (PST)

Just now catching up with my mail.
Well, I was indeed talking about moi of the key.  But as ric said, it is after strike weight/front weight (Stanwood) and friction have been addressed.  What I have concerned myself with is releading so that the moi due to the leads is quite smooth from one end to the other.  Maybe it is too fine a point to be concerned with, but I am still unsure about that, especially when dealing with concert instruments.  I have a spread sheet I use to plug in lead distances to get what moi I want (in gcm2).  At the same time, I shoot for certain front weights which is independent of moi).  It goes quite quickly if i start with unleaded keys.

James Ellis <claviers@nxs.net> wrote:
Yes, Vince, evening out down-weight, up-weight, balance weight, and
friction, as felt at the keys, does make a big difference to pianists. I
have done it many times. But in your case, are you sure you are talking
about "moi" (moment of inertia), and not something else? If so, please
tell me how you go about evening out total action "moi" while working only
with the keys?

Sincerely, Jim Ellis