Keys and MOI - wipp assist

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:21:26 -0500

Fred Sturm wrote:

>     I guess my main question is, "Is the moi of the hammer assembly, as
> perceived from the key, reduced by the engagement of the spring?" Since
> the stored energy is always present, the energy required to accelerate
> the hammer assembly mass from the front of the key is always reduced. So
> does that, in effect, reduce the moi of the hammer assembly mass? Or how
> does the spring enter into the picture in engineering terms?

Fred,

I would say no, the spring does not change the MOI of the hammer or how
it is felt at the fey. When the action is at rest the spring has
potential energy. When the key is depressed the energy is used to help
move the action. When the action returns to rest the spring is
compressed and it stores the energy for latter use.

I suspect the drawback of using the springs is the potential for
creating undue harmonic motion in the action. With too much spring
tension the action would take a wile to come to rest. There would be a
lot more dance to the keys.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin