Keys and MOI - wipp assist

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 15:22:16 -0700

	Thanks for the feedback, John. I'm just wondering how such a thing as a
wipp assist spring fits into calculations. It seems to me the wipp assist
is very similar to the Fazioli magnetic underkey whatsits. Both are fairly
static sources of energy (the wipp assist spring de-compresses very little,
hence its available energy remains fairly constant throughout an action
event. As does the force of the underkey magnets, since the distance
doesn't contract that much).
	Since moi is perceived at the key as resistance to the force of the finger
which is trying to accelerate, and since in the case of both the spring and
the magnet, force is being added to the system, it would seem that there
might be an effect that would "feel like" reduction in moi. But maybe not.
The issue is whether these two means of reducing mass as measured at the
key have an effect at all levels of acceleration. It's the really fast
acceleration (hard blow, fortissimo playing) where moi is really felt (as
others have pointed out earlier, in comparison to pianissimo playing which
is proportional more to simple balance weight). Or so I surmise. I guess it
comes down to, "Does the heavier hammer compensated for by the wipp assist
feel heavier on faster/louder blows? Same question with magnets
substituted?" And how does one calculate what effect forces like these have
on weights and levers and inertia?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Tuesday, January 6, 2004 2:21 PM -0500 John Hartman