Steinway casters orientation

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:38:40 -0800

Isaac,

At 03:20 PM 1/8/2004, you wrote:
>Thanks, John, indeed that make sense, I need to check that on less
>large instruments as well (one Grotrian particularly is strange when
>it comes to stability of the key bedding in the basses.

When bedding the keyframe, try working from the second stud from the base,
rather than from the end.  Then when the others are set, go back and do the
bass.

Also, on a number of instruments, the keyframe has a tendency to
"float".  Stated differently, they are exceptionally sensitive to humidity
changes.  If/as I notice this kind of behavior, I tend to set the bedding a
bit more tightly than I otherwise might.

Along the same lines, many more modern instruments do not seem to want to
get properly bedded unless this is done with the keys and stack in
place.  I do not think that many people still try to use the
newspaper-under-the-balance rail approach anymore.  It really is rather
useless when the keyframes are so flexible.

Hope this is of some value.

Best.

Horace