Touchweight

Fri, 9 Jan 2004 12:32:57 -0800

I think the issue is critical enough that I would encourage those who are
not confident in their knowledge to consult rather than just use standard
parts.  Otherwise, you are taking a chance.  The issue isn't always design.
More often it's the execution of the design that's flawed as is the case
with many Steinways.  Simple corrections can be made that will save you a
lot of headaches later.  I have come back to a few actions that I did some
time ago that I wish I had known then what I do now.  I would guess I'm not
alone in that experience.  Some of those were cases of replacing parts with
original dimension parts.  Though the information to assess actions is
readily available, it does require some research and thought.  If people
don't have the time or energy, pay a consulting fee to a technician who can
at least give you the specs you need to be sure the parts that go on their
will achieve the proper touchweight dynamics and regulation specs.  Pay now
or pay later.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net