Bluthner Action Conversion?

McNeilTom@aol.com McNeilTom@aol.com
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 19:49:34 EST

Hi, Mark -

I'd side with Jon in saying that the rocker action is not really a big deal.
We just completed a nice restoration project on a 1920 Bechstein so equipped.
 It worked out very well indeed.  I'd be inclined to stay with the original
action; replace shanks and flanges if necessary.

On the Bluthner, one thing to watch out for is action brackets that are
disintegrating.  Some of them from about that time were weak 'pot metal' castings
that deteriorate with age.  Luckily, excellent replacement brackets are
available from Renner and the swap is very straight forward and not at all
complicated.

- Tom McNeil -
Vermont Piano Restorations

"To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the
stupid have an answer for every question." - Edward Abbey