dilemma

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:57:50 -0700

Hi Wim,
	I want to second the advice you've received - to recommend using Steinway
factory (ie, C & A Dept) techs as the outside consultant if at all
possible. Or at least making sure the consultant is someone with a track
record working specifically on Steinway concert instruments, preferably
"setting them up" (doing initial prep and voicing) as well as on-going
maintenance. I can see a situation where a well-meaning, pretty
weel-skilled tech comes in and decides he needs to saturate the hammers in
lacquer once or twice, manages to get the piano sounding acceptable, and
then, weeks later, you end up with hammers a needle can't penetrate.
	My take (obviously from a distance) is that probably all that's needed is
some judicious filing/shaping, perhaps a mild application of acetone to
crowns to draw solids to the surface and give added zing, perhaps judicious
application (very focused/targeted and very shallow) of mild keytop to
crowns where needed. At any rate, the bottom line is that a tech with lots
of specific experience is more likely to get to the root of the perceived
problem, and not cause you more problems down the road.
	Whoever does end up coming, I'd be sure to keep a close eye on exactly
what is done, so you have a good idea what you will be dealing with, and so
you can learn from the results. Wouldn't be a bad idea to document what is
done (just write down a description in your daily log or whatever).
	Just another couple cents to stick in your back pocket.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico