George Winston contract

Greg Granoff gjg2@humboldt.edu
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 16:48:57 -0800

Tom,
George Winston comes here every year, as there is a big "New Age" =
appreciation contingent out here in far NW California.  I have prepped =
numerous pianos for him, and seen his rider that specifies tuning =
details;  it does look very anal, but don't let the cent deviation =
charts scare you.  I can assure you that if you simply do your best =
clean, musical tuning, using a nice, evenly graduated stretch with no =
sudden changes, he will be perfectly happy-- in fact won't say a word =
because I suspect he really doesn't know the fine points of the subject =
at all. However, he is anal about one thing:  unisons.  He is the only =
pianist I have ever seen do the following:  as he plays and (sometimes =
talks) he reaches for a little pile of rubber mutes he takes to the =
piano with him, and places them next to unisons he feels need attention. =
 Some of his compositions repeatedly come down hard on individual notes, =
and unison fraying in those areas can be expected unless your tunings =
are ultra-stable.
He will expect these touched up at intermission, but remains very calm =
and easy going about it all.  If he feels he is being taken care of in =
this way, he typically will acknowledge you (and all his tech help) to =
the audience at the end of the show--another unusual touch.  He also =
plays without his shoes :-)  Where regulation and voicing are concerned, =
make sure that things are reliable and responsive, and that there are no =
noticeably uneven voicing problems, and that should be fine as well. =20
I suspect that contract was written after his people collected every =
complaint he's ever made about every poorly prepared, crummy piano he's =
ever played (and I'm sure there have been many) and put it all down as a =
way to scare off the inexperienced.  Someone must have told them =
tuner/techs want details, so there they are.  They're really designed to =
intimidate more than inform, IMHO, and don't really mean much in the =
larger scheme of things. I've never seen anyone from his staff check the =
piano against an ETD, so keep breathing.
Good luck!
Greg
Greg Granoff   RPT
Humboldt State University