George Winston contract

gjg2@humboldt.edu gjg2@humboldt.edu
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:11:18 -0800 (PST)

Tom, Bob, et al,

Thanks for the interesting thread.  I sometimes wonder if the whole 19th
century phenomenon of the pianist/composer-- the soloist who plays their
own as well as other's compositions-- might ever revive.  It seems that it
died out with Rachmaninoff in the first half of the 20th century, and
while George Winston is interesting and even entertaining, I sometimes
wish there was someone who "had it all" traveling around the classical
circuit: big time chops, the passion and conviction we all admire, and
sophisticated, large scale compositional skills.  I think this is really
missing.

Best,
Greg

Greg Granoff  RPT