Capo bar revisited

Don McKechnie dmckech@ithaca.edu
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:01:53 -0800

Hi Lance,

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear it did not work out to your
satisfaction. It is clear from previous discussions that there is no
guarantee all the cures mentioned will work. Regarding the capo,
sometimes we get lucky, sometimes not. I have been leaning towards the
school of thought that suggests good tone can be achieved without the
front duplex section ringing at a higher harmonic of the speaking
length. Yes, that would mean major rescaling for Steinway, etc. (Not
likely to happen :-) It seems to me that a lot of problems could be
solved by this design. Pardon me if I'm incorrect, I believe Del has
proposed this on the lists and in the Journal.

Don