Steinway O string height

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 4 May 2004 19:56:02 EDT

Lance writes:
<< I have no string height
measurements (plate is pulled) and I'm thinking I need that to
measure/weigh for new parts.  I know plate locations varied,
etc., but I'm ignorant as to how much variation there was over the years
with string height, etc.  Anyone have a clue where I should head??  I
measured a 20 year old L, but don't know if that is in the ballpark
(seems low).  >>

If you assume that the string heights will be 55 mm above the hammerflange
pin for the bass and 47 mm above the pin for the treble bridge, you will be in
the ball park, (at least, enough for any action work you want to do except
boring the hammers, themselves).
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT