Steinway O string height

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Wed, 05 May 2004 10:09:56 -0500

Hi Lance,

here are the numbers from a 1911 model O:

string heights:    19.8 - 19.8 cm; Bass
                        18.9 +  .15 cm; Tenor - Treble

center-pin heights: 14.7cm / 14.7cm

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

 ----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
llafargue
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 6:07 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Cc: Charles K. Ball
Subject: Steinway O string height

  List,

  I have walked into a Steinway O rebuild (1901) midway to help another tech
and to make a long story shorter…. I have no string height measurements
(plate is pulled) and I’m thinking I need that to measure/weigh for new
parts.  Key leads have been removed/added over the years, so I am
particularly concerned about ordering the best parts (knuckle location,
hammer weight, etc).  I know plate locations varied, etc., but I’m ignorant
as to how much variation there was over the years with string height, etc.
Anyone have a clue where I should head??  I measured a 20 year old L, but
don’t know if that is in the ballpark (seems low).  Thanks.

  Lance Lafargue, RPT

  LAFARGUE PIANOS

  New Orleans Chapter, PTG

  985.72P.IANO